Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

ZH Sound Options
Monicks
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 12:48:09 PM
Groups: Member

Hi Mandy, first off let me tell you that I cannot thank you enough for the time you dedicate to post these weekly episodes that -at least for me- break the mystery down on why, no matter how hard we try, we not-native speakers can't sound like native speakers.
My mother tongue is Spanish and I have trouble trying to pronounce the zh ending sound, so I find myself speaking as if I was reciting a tongue twister, clumsy and stuttering. It's really frustrating.
Any quick and dirty trick that you could give me and maybe others in the same situation would be really appreciated. I want to speak just like you.
I'm also looking forward to downloading the previous episodes with a better sound quality.
Thank you again for everything.
Monica
Sponsor
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 12:48:09 PM
mandy
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 9:02:01 AM
Groups: Member , Moderators

Monica,

I'm glad you are enjoying the podcasts. Thank you for you kind comments.

The zh sound is an unusual sound, and so a lot of languages have trouble with it. The sound doesn't seem to exist in Spanish.

I have a few more questions for you to help me figure out exactly what may be the clue for helping you. First, do you only have trouble with the zh sound at the end of the word, or is it also hard in the middle. For example, can you correctly say the word "vision", but have trouble with "rouge"? If you only have trouble with the sound when it is at the end of the word, I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are less than 20 words in English that we frequently use that have that sound in the end.

The second question - can you correctly say the sh sound? The zh sound and sh sound are voiced/unvoiced pairs, so if you can say the sh sound, practice saying the sound alone (not as part of a word), then try voicing it. An easier pair to practice, in order to get a feel for turning your voice on and off, is the z sound/s sound pair.

If you also have trouble with the sh sound, then it is probably a tongue placement issue. To find the right place for the zh sound, start with a z sound. Notice how far forward the tip of your tongue is during that sound. Slide your tongue back further in your mouth. The sound friction happens between the area just behind the tip of the tongue and the area of the top of your mouth where the slopes up from the tooth ridge. Compare your sound with the word sound lists. Here is the link for the zh sound.

Let me know if that helps. If anyone else has had problems with the sound and figured out a way to correctly say it, please post a reply here, no matter what your first language is!

For anyone who hasn't heard the podcast on this issue, more information can also be found in podcast #17, which is about the sh sound and zh sound in English.

Hope that helps!
Mandy

PS. In case you didn't notice the post in the other forum, the stereo/mono issue has been fixed from previous shows :)

Edited: Fixed broken links
Monicks
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 8:43:52 PM
Groups: Member

Hello Mandy,
Thank you for your response.
I also wanted to thank you for the links, I have been through all of them and paid special attention to the episode for Spanish speakers when you first released it and listened to it again, it actually helped me with another issue I didn't know I had.
I've given a lot of thought to your questions and yes, absolutely. It's just the zh sound at the end of the words the one I'm strugling with. I'm good at the sh sound no matter where in the word it is, and thanks to you now I know there are only a few words with the ending zh sound but they are way too frequently used to ignore them.
One thing I can tell you, I won't give up.
You are right, the zh sound doesn't exist in Spanish. The thing is I know exactly how it should sound, I do get the right sound when it's just the sound that I'm pronouncing, I just can't say it right at the end of the words!
Guess I just need to try harder...
Thank you again for all your help and I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Monica
mandy
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2008 3:23:35 PM
Groups: Member , Moderators

Hi Monica,

I'm curious, can you tell if the trouble is that you are accidentally creating a j sound when you are attempting the zh sound (the j sound as in "jump", not the Spanish 'j')? If so, that can give me a clue as to how to help you solve the issue. Which zh sound ending words do you need to say frequently?

I'm also curious what other issue is that you have now discovered, and if you are having better luck solving that issue.

Best of luck to you!
Mandy